Birkbeck, University of London, Sept. 2014
Lecturer in Philosophy
Exeter College, University of Oxford, Oct. 2012–Sept. 2014
Michael Cohen Career Development Fellow in Philosophy
Princeton University, Ph.D. Fall 2012
Dissertation: “Nietzsche on the Decadence and Flourishing of Culture," Advisor: Alexander Nehamas
Brown University, A.B., magna cum laude, with Honors in Philosophy, 2006
Pembroke College, Cambridge, Visiting Undergraduate, 2005
Areas of Specialization
19th-Century European Philosophy, Aesthetics, Ethics
Areas of Competence
20th-Century European Philosophy, Kant, Epistemology, Social and Political Philosophy
25. Nietzsche on the Decadence and Flourishing of Culture (under contract, OUP).
24. “Nietzsche” in Blackwell Companion to Nineteenth Century Philosophy, ed. J.A. Shand (forthcoming, Blackwell).
23. “Nietzsche on the Health of the Soul,” Inquiry 60:2 (2017), p. 135-164.
22. “Against ‘Egypticism’: Nietzsche on Understanding and ‘Defining’ Concepts,” Routledge Philosophy Minds: Nietzsche, ed. Paul Katsafanas (Routledge, forthcoming).
21. “Affirmation, Admirable Overvaluation, and the Eternal Recurrence,” Nietzsche on Morality and Affirmation, ed. Daniel Came (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
20. “Nietzsche on Decadence as a Psychic Failing,” Decadence and Decay, ed. Richard Miles and William O’Reilly (Ax:son Johnson, forthcoming).
19. “Normativity and the Will to Power: Challenges for a Nietzschean Constitutivism," Journal of Nietzsche Studies 47:3 (2016), p. 435-456.
18. “Nietzsche and the Hope of Normative Convergence,” Does Anything Really Matter? Parfit on Objectivity, ed. Peter Singer, (Oxford University Press, 2016).
17.“Kunstreligion Redeemed: From Religion to Art in Parsifal,” Nietzsche und Wagner: Perspektiven ihrer Auseinandersetzung, ed. Jutta Georg and Renate Reschke (de Gruyter, 2016).
16. “What is Enshrined in Morality?: Understanding the Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique,”Inquiry 58:3 (2015), p. 281-307.
15. “Hegel on Comedy: Theodicy, Social Criticism, and the ‘Supreme Task’ of Art,” British Journal of Aesthetics 54:2 (2014), p. 227-40.
14. “'Consecration to Culture': Nietzsche on Slavery and Human Dignity,” Journal of the History of Philosophy 52:1 (2014), p. 135-160.
13. “Nietzsche’s Meta-axiology: Against the Sceptical Readings,” British Journal for the History of Philosophy 22:2 (2014), p.322-43.
12. “The Conversation Argument for Actual Intentionalism,” British Journal of Aesthetics 52:3 (2012),p. 241-256.
11. “Naughty Beliefs,” Philosophical Studies 160:2 (2012), p. 209-222.
10. “In Defense of Artistic Value,” Philosophical Quarterly 62:249 (2012), p. 705-714.
“9. “Nietzsche’s Journey,” Times Literary Supplement, May 2017 [combined review of 4 recent books]
8. Review of Hugo Drochon, Nietzsche’s Great Politics, forthcoming in Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews
7. Review of Christopher Janaway and Simon Robertson, eds., Nietzsche, Naturalism, and Normativity (Oxford University Press, 2013), forthcoming in Mind.
6. Review of Daniel Came, ed., Nietzsche on Art and Life (Oxford University Press, 2014), British Journal for the History of Philosophy (May 2015).
5. Review of Julian Young, ed., Individual and Community in Nietzsche’s Philosophy (Cambridge University Press, 2015) Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (April 2015).
4. Review of Anthony Jensen, Nietzsche’s Philosophy of History (Cambridge, 2013), Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews (January 2014).
3. Review of Andy Hamilton and Nick Zangwill, eds., Scruton’s Aesthetics (Palgrave-Macmillan, 2012), British Journal of Aesthetics (2013).
2. Review of Amy Coplan and Peter Goldie, eds., Empathy: Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives (Oxford University Press, 2011), Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism, Vol. 71, Issue 2 (2013)
1. Review of Terence Irwin, The Development of Ethics: A Historical and Critical Study, (Oxford University Press, 2009), Vol. III, chapter on Nietzsche, in The Philosophical Forum, Vol. 42, Issue 3, p. 320 (Fall 2011).
Work in Progress:
“Nietzsche on Nihilism: A Unifying Thread”
“Nietzsche on Greatness and Greatness of Soul”
Art’s Highest Calling (book project on post-Kantian German aesthetics)
Honors and Awards
Porter Ogden Jacobus Fellowship, Princeton University, 2011-12
Dissertation fellowship that is Princeton’s highest honor for graduate students. Awarded annually, following nomination by one’s department to four students across the university, one from each division.
Graduate Prize Fellowship, Center for Human Values, Princeton University, 2010-2011
Dissertation fellowship awarded annually to ten students across the university working on topics relating to the human values.
Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University (Elected as a Junior), 2005
First Class Honors on Exams, Cambridge University, 2005
“Nietzsche on Nihilism: A Unifying Thread”
Boston University, May 2017
“Normativity and Meta-Normativity in Aesthetics”
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Salt Lake City, May 2017
Varieties of Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, January 2016
“‘Against Egypticism’: Nietzsche on Understanding and Defining Concepts”
University of Southampton, March 2017
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin, November 2016
“Why I am Not a Restrictive Intentionalist”
American Society of Aesthetics, Seattle, November 2016
British Society of Aesthetics, Oxford, September 2016
University of Kent, March 2016
Philosophy and Literature Conference, University of Texas, Austin, February 2016
“The Nietzschean Self and the Eternal Recurrence”
Conference in Honor of Alexander Nehamas, Princeton University, October 2016
“The Uses and Disadvantages of Bildung for Life”
Joint Session, Mind Association and Aristotelian Society, Cardiff, July 2016
“Nietzsche on the Health of the Soul”
International Society of Nietzsche Studies, University of Bonn, June 2016\
Hungarian Academy of Sciences, November 2015
Cardiff University, October 2015
Colgate University, September 2015
“Meaning and Culture in The Birth of Tragedy”
Temple University, April 2016
University of California, Riverside, April 2016
University of Oslo, May 2015
“Beyond Value: Expanding Aesthetic Normativity”
New University of Lisbon, December 2015
American Society of Aesthetics, Savannah, November 2015
Aesthetics, Reasons, and Normativity Conference, University of Kent, June 2015
European Society of Aesthetics Annual Meeting, Dublin, June 2015
4th Annual Dubrovnik Aesthetics Conference, Dubrovnik, April 2015
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, Sweden, October 2014
“Nietzsche and the Early German Romantics”
British Society for the History of Philosophy Annual Meeting, York, April 2015
“Nietzsche on the Decadence of Individuals and Cultures”
Interdisciplinary Conference on Decadence, Trinity Hall, Cambridge, September 2014
Alpine Seminar, Aldourrie, Scotland, August 2014
“Normativity and the Will to Power: Challenges for a Nietzschean Constitutivism”
“Nietzsche, Value, and Self Constitution” Conference, Oxford, UK, May 2014
“Finding Content in Absolute Music”
European Society of Aesthetics, Amsterdam, May 2014
British Society of Aesthetics, Cambridge, UK, September 2013
Nordic Society of Aesthetics, University of Oslo, May 2013
“What is Enshrined in Morality?: Understanding the Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique”
University of Sussex, UK, March 2014
Lingnan University, Hong Kong, March 2014
“Nietzsche on Decadence and its Remedies”
“Nietzsche and Kantian Politics” Conference, John Cabot University, Rome, December 2013
Berliner Nietzsche Kolloquium, Technische Universität Berlin, November 2013
“Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can’t Lose: Friday Night Lights and the Value of Inspiration” [with Errol Lord]
American Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, San Diego, October 2013
“Kunstreligion Redeemed: From Religion to Art in Wagner’s Parsifal”
“Nietzsche und Wagner. Perspektiven ihrer Auseinandersetzung,” Internationaler Nietzsche Kongress, Naumburg, Germany, October 2013
“Truth and the Ambitions of (Great) Art”
International Congress of Aesthetics, Krakow, Poland, July 2013
University of Leeds, November 2012
“Nietzsche on the Standing of Values”
Post-Kantian European Philosophy Seminar, Oxford, November 2012
Princeton-Humboldt Graduate Philosophy Workshop, Berlin, July 2011
Princeton Workshop in Normative Philosophy, March 2011
“Nietzsche and the Contingency of Greatness”
Evian International Philosophy Colloquium, Evian-les-Bains, France, July 2012
“Art as Culture and Culture as Art: Tracing a Theme from The Birth of Tragedy to Nietzsche’s Later Work”
European Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Braga and Guimaraes, Portugal, June 2012
“The Grounds for Nietzsche’s Critique of Morality”
University of New Hampshire, September 2011
“In Defense of Artistic Value as Achievement Value”
British Society of Aesthetics, Edinburgh, September 2011
European Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Grenoble, France, April 2011
8th Annual University of Miami Graduate Conference in Epistemology, January 2011
“Nietzsche’s Cultural Perfectionism”
14th Annual Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, Oxford, U.K., November 2010
“The Location of Artistic Value: Against Aesthetic Consumerism”
16th Annual Evian Philosophy Colloquium, “Art, l’ Art, Kunst,” Evian-les-Bains, France, July 2010
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Victoria, British Columbia, October 2010
“Nietzsche’s Holistic Perfectionism”
“Nietzsche’s Postmoralism” conference, University of Southampton, U.K., July 2010
“‘Das Ganze Lebt Überhaupt Nicht Mehr’: Nietzsche on the Decadence of Individuals and Cultures”
Joint Conference, European Society for Aesthetics and the Associazione Italiana degli Studiosi di Estetica, University of Udine, Italy, May 2010
“Intention and Conversation”
8th Annual Graduate Conference, Brown University, November 2009
British Society of Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Oxford University, September 2009
“Literature and Philosophical Conversation”
University of Sussex, U.K., June 2008
Presentations: Comments Delivered
On Paul Guyer’s, “Community and Individuality in Aesthetic Experience: McMahon on Art and Morality”
Aesthetic Normativity Conference, Uppsala University, Sweden, October, 2014
On Marta Zareba’s, “The Ontology of Theatrical Script”
Oxford Philosophy Graduate Conference, Oxford, November 2013
On Mark Harris’s, “The Puzzle of Negatively Moving Music”
Princeton-Oxford-Jean Nicod CRNAP Conference, Oxford, June 2013
On Guy Elgat’s, “Nietzsche’s Critique of Schopenhauer on the Value of Aesthetic Experience”
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, St. Louis, October 2012
On Jens Ziska’s, “Skorupski on Practical Reasons to Believe”
Princeton-Oxford-Jean Nicod CRNAP Conference, Paris, July 2012
On Murray Skees’s, “In Defense of Euripides: Truly the Most Tragic of Poets”
American Society for Aesthetics, Annual Meeting, Tampa, October 2011
On Romy Jaster’s “Contextualizing Free Will”
Princeton-Humboldt Graduate Philosophy Workshop, Berlin, July 2011
On Greg Canning’s “Nietzsche’s ‘Gay Science’ as Aesthetics,”
American Society for Aesthetics, Eastern Division Meeting, Philadelphia, April 2011
On Roger Paden’s “Schopenhauer, Klimt, and the Beethoven Frieze”
American Society for Aesthetics Annual Meeting, Denver, October 2009
Birkbeck, University of London
2017-8: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Hegel (Upper-level BA and MA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (Introductory MA course).
2016-7: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Kant (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophy of Hegel (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophical Research Methods (MA Seminar).
2015-16: Philosophy of Nietzsche [with Ken Gemes] (Upper-level BA and MA course); Epistemology (Mid-level BA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Philosophical Research Methods (MA Seminar); Postgraduate Research Seminar
2014-15: Philosophy of Kant (Upper-level BA and MA course); Introduction to Metaphysics and Epistemology (Introductory MA course); Epistemology (Mid-level BA course); Adorno and Foucault (Upper-level BA and MA course); Postgraduate Research Seminar
Exeter College, Oxford
2012-14: Tutorials and/or revision sessions in:
Final Honour Schools papers (i.e, for upper-year students):
Post-Kantian Philosophy (Hegel, Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Heidegger)
Knowledge and Reality
Mods/Prelims papers (i.e., for 1st yr. students):
Faculty of Philosophy, University of Oxford
Trinity 2014: Seminar in Aesthetics (jointly with Jim Grant)
Trinity 2013: Lectures in Aesthetics (jointly with John Hyman)
Upper-level undergraduate lecture course
College/ Departmental Service
MA Examinations Chair (2014-)
MRes. Examinations Chair (2016-)
Chair of International Programs Exam Board (2016-)
Faculty of Philosophy
Assessor, Philosophy Final Honour Schools (2013-14)
Governing Body (Oct. 2012-August 2014)
President, Senior Common Room (from Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Chair, 700th Anniversary Music Sub-comittee (Feb. 2013 to April 2014)
Tutorial Board (Oct. 2012 to August 2014)
Dean of Degrees (April 2013 to July 2014)
Rector & Tutors Committee (Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Chapel Committee (Oct. 2013 to August 2014)
Reviews Editor, European Journal of Philosophy
Referee, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Mind, European Journal of Philosophy, Journal of the History of Philosophy, Routledge, Oxford University Press, British Journal of Aesthetics; Archiv für Geschichte der Philosophie; British Journal for the History of Philosophy; Canadian Journal of Philosophy; Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism; South African Journal of Philosophy; Journal of Value Inquiry; Journal of Philosophical Research; Ergo; Estetika, Inquiry, Tropos: Rivista di Ermeneutica e Critica Filosofica
Executive Committee Member and Treasurer, Royal Musical Association Music and Philosophy Study Group
Principal Organizer, London Aesthetics Forum
Program Committee, North American Nietzsche Society, 2016 Conference
Organizing Committee, Normativity and German Idealism Workshop, May 2015
Member, American Philosophical Association; North American Nietzsche Society; American Society for Aesthetics; British Society of Aesthetics; European Society for Aesthetics